Saturday, April 27, 2013

Super Bulldog Weekend: Hail State!


So I'm not sure if this post will increase my readers or send them running, but I was not always a LSU Tiger. Gasp! 

Can't tell by this picture, can you?

Yes, yes, it is true. I was actually a Mississippi State Bulldog my freshman year of college. I am not ashamed to say I loved every second of it either. Why did I come back to my home state though? Well, you all know about that little thing called TOPS...where if you graduated from a Louisiana high school and pass a certain curriculum with a high enough ACT score, you can receive free tuition? Well, I was kind of throwing that away by going out of state. I also changed my major to pre-physical therapy and I needed a medical school that was directly linked to my undergrad to increase my chances of getting in (It is SO competitive nowadays). And to be honest, I missed my friends and family a whole bunch, so with a lot of praying and time, I made the decision to come back. I don't regret it thus far, but I do miss State sometimes. I made a lot of friends there along with lots of memories. I hadn't seen my friends in a while and was wondering how the campus had changed, so I knew I was due for a four and a half hour trip that way. Yeah, that is sort of a long time, but I had a free weekend and a big paycheck that week so I decided I was hitting the road. Starkville, here I come!



With the smoke billowing from the grills of Left Field Lounge, everyone in Starkville, Mississippi knew that this was going to be an incredible time of baseball and fun.  During the weekend of April 19-21, Bulldog fans were swarming the campus of Mississippi State for Super Bulldog Weekend.

This weekend consisted of BBQ, music, football, baseball and other activities.  On Friday, baseball began their series against the Auburn Tigers, followed by a fireworks show after the game. Now I'm not usually a big fan of fireworks. The loud noise hurts my ears and to be honest, I've seen prettier things. But seeing them light up State's campus and everyone in such good cheers, I couldn't help but get this happy and peaceful feelings, even though it was anything but peaceful, ha!  Saturday, football concluded their spring practice with the Maroon and White game at Davis Wade stadium. I have my favorite players and they were all even divided among the maroon and white, so I just cheered for complete passes, awesome tackles, and of course every single touchdown; I have to support all my boys, right? These events were all building up to the Saturday evening baseball matchup, where the fans would try to set another attendance record in college baseball. This was going to be HUGE.

Mississippi State holds nine of the top ten on-campus attendance records in college baseball.  On Saturday they accomplished their goal of gaining all ten.  14,562 fans rolled into Dudy Noble field that afternoon, which was the seconds largest in college baseball history.  I was amazed as I walked to my seat. Never had I seen the stands packed to the brim and overspilling into the aisles. It made me so proud to have history as a student here. It was the moment I sat down in my seat, smiled to my left and to my right, that I knew I made the right choice of driving four and half hours for this. The energy of the crowd that evening summed up the entire spring weekend in Starkville. 
Hail State!

No comments:

Post a Comment